Building Purpose Built Ventures
"We're focused on human potential. That means we believe founders can be better leaders."
Miles Lasater is the CEO and Founding Partner of Purpose Built Ventures.
In this episode, hear from Miles on why learning to sell at a young age is so important to learn entrepreneurship, and how you can manage your time more effectively to create new habits. Miles dives into the pitfalls behind taking a company public, the real role of a start-up investor, and what it means to be a “purpose built venture.”
- (00:00) - Intro
- (2:00) - Early college years
- (3:50) - Working in food service gives transferable skills
- (8:45) - Starting his first business, “Help With Home Computers”
- (10:25) - Founding Higher One in college
- (14:25) - How did Higher One help university students?
- (18:48) - How do new entrepreneurs pick a partner?
- (32:05) - Books and podcasts for developing leadership skills
- (36:15) - Time management and making habits
- (42:19) - Running a public company is painful
- (47:13) - What is it like to take a company public?
- (52:01) - Developing pattern recognition skills
- (55:00) - The role of a start-up investor
- (57:55) - What is Purpose Built Ventures?
- Purpose Build Ventures: https://www.purposebuilt.vc/
- Higher One: https://www.linkedin.com/company/higher-one
- Miles Lasater LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mileslasater/
- Miles' Podcast, "Startups For Good": https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/startups-for-good/id1538756698
BOOKS OUR GUEST LOVES:
- The 15 Commandments Of Conscious Leadership - Jim Dethmer
- Getting Things Done - David Allen
- The Great CEO within - Matt Mochary
- Shoe Dog - Phil Knight
- Miracle Morning - Hal Elrod
PODCASTS OUR GUEST LOVES
- How I Built This: https://www.npr.org/series/490248027/how-i-built-this